Guess what? It’s…
I was nominated for the Mystery Blogger Award by fellow writer and blogger Inkbiotic over a month ago. It’s time to acknowledge that honor!
The Mystery Blogger Award…
- is an award for amazing bloggers with ingenious posts. Their blog not only captivates; it inspires and motivates. They are one of the best out there and they deserve every recognition they get.
- is also for bloggers who find fun and inspiration in blogging and they do it with so much love and passion.
- was created by Okoto Enigma.
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link.
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
- Answer 5 questions from the nominee.
- Nominate 10 – 20 bloggers.
- Notify your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog.
- Ask your nominees 5 questions of your choice, including 1 weird or funny question.
- Share the link to your best post.
My Three Things
- I came about the name “The Shameful Narcissist” almost by accident. I was talking with a coworker years ago and using my false, tongue-in-cheek bravado that I often employ as my brand of humor. I referred to myself as a “shameful narcissist,” to which he replied, “Don’t you mean a shameless narcissist?” I responded, “No, because I’m actually ashamed of my narcissism.” I like the idea and the incongruence (because narcissist generally lack the ability to be ashamed of themselves and the horrible things they’re doing *cough cough*) so I went with it. I honestly feel that if I wasn’t overly empathatic, I would be a gigantic narcissist, and that feeling what others feels really keeps me in check.
- If I had the money and time, I would be a perpetual student. Due to current events I’ve been thinking about going back to school to study law so that I can advocate for people in danger of losing the protection of their rights, and I’ve also been thinking of studying astrophysics, which seems like utter opposites. One concerns itself with the often down and dirty nitty-gritty whereas the other is grand, lofty, and about how the universe came into being. Microcosm/macrocsm indeed, but they’re really just two different ways of trying to make the future better. I’m reading Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time/The Universe in a Nutshell right now in addition to putting together a information spreadsheet about the 2018 midterm elections, so in a way I suppose I’m trying to do something with both. I would love to have a Ph. D in English so that I could call myself Dr. Brown. Hehe, if I studied astrophysics and quantum mechanics, I could make a reference or bad pun to Back to the Future :p
- I can’t decide whether or not I love coffee or tea more D: Coffee helps me stay awake, but tea is so sophisticated. Help!
Where did the idea for your blog title come from? What does it mean?
Oh my lord this is hilarious, because I kind of answered this in my own answers above lol. If you don’t remember, just go back and read that. I threw “Speaks” on the end of it so you’d all know that I never shut up :p
What are your plans/ambitions for 2017? I have many plans that have been best laid, and I’m hoping not all of them fail.
- I want to finished editing The Broken Rose.
- I want to exceed my reading goal of 15 books (per my Goodreads).
- I want to start reediting my original, paranormal romance novel The Serpent’s Tale in the hopes that I can get the courage to resubmit it to publishing agents.
- I want to do the final edit on my short story The Threads of Sorrow so I can start subbing that again, too.
- I want to upgrade my blog to premium so I can include audio. It will make my blog more accessible to people who have vision problems or who’d like to be able to “read” my posts at work (I love when other bloggers have the audio options on essays. It makes it easier to get through more things). I also like the sound of my own voice (Shameful Narcissist, don’t blame me)
- I want to edit and post the numerous videos I’ve recorded on my iPhone.
- I want to record the video reviews I have planned.
- I want to start the audio recording of Northern Lights (if my stupid voice would behave itself).
- I want to catch up on my essay writing.
This is a small sampling and I’m sure most of it will spill into next year.
If you could download any file of knowledge to your brain (Matrix-style ‘I know kung fu!’) what would you choose? Latin. I want to know Latin. If I could, I would download a ton of languages: Latin, German, Spanish, Gaelic, Japanese, brush up on my French. I would love to be a polyglot.
What do you find difficult that other people find easy? Bouncing back from rejection. Not taking things personally. Not being overly sensitive. I’ve learned in my old age to not blame myself for this (as I was blamed by others), but I do wish I had a thicker skin. I’m just amazed by people who can have the worst vitriol spit at them, and they still don’t back down.
What modern saying or common language error gets your hackles up? “I could care less.” Come on now! I’ve stopped being a prescriptive grammarian because it smacks of elitism and privilege, but this one is really simple. If you could care less, it means you do care, which makes no sense. It’s just two more letters and an apostrophe. One little syllable.
My Favorite Blog Post
My favorite post…hm, I really love “Heart of Darkness, Angel of Light – The Defense of Sephiroth” for obvious reasons, but I also really adore the more ubiquitous (for the game) essay of “The Seventh Is the Darkest – An FFVII Meta Examination,” which touches on the point of HoD but expands more on why Final Fantasy VII is so dark, delightful, and a parable for our increasingly turbulent times. To be honest “Darkest” may be better written as it’s more recent, and writers tends to improve with age. “The Seventh Is the Darkest” is also a potential name for a horror story I want to write, and I just love saying it (I’ve been repeating it to myself for the past five minutes…)
Gah, I’m supposed to nominate people. Well I’m going to be mysterious and combative and not do it. Nope. You can all feel free to do this tag if you wish to, just make sure you include the link for the original creator of it (not me!) that I linked to above. I almost always forget to nominate someone and then I feel horrible about it later, so I’m going to take the coward’s way out and nominate no one and everyone at all! Even if we’ve only interacted a few times, I cherish every single one of you (omg why does that sound so sinister??)
My Questions for You
- What’s your favorite brand of bottled water?
- What are your favorite video game consoles? Can be past of present.
- What’s your favorite comic book based movie? Who’s your favorite comic book hero (yep two questions in one, why not)?
- Are you a planning writer or an impromptu writer?
- Weird Question: What’s your favorite kind of hat?