A weekly post updated every Tuesday detailing my current gaming projects. I have quite a backlog of games to either play or watch, and I’m hoping a weekly article will assist with my progress as my other accountable posts have done with reading and writing.
I have an account at Grouvee, which is a essentially Goodreads for gamers, so please feel free to friend me there!
Original source of the banner art is located here.
Currently Playing: 2
Title: World of Final Fantasy
Series: Final Fantasy
Genre: RPG – Fantasy
Developer: Square Enix
Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita
Release Date: October 25, 2016
Date Bought: October 21, 2016
Date Started: November 5, 2016
Date Finished(?): February 19, 2017
I didn’t get any time last week to play WOFF, but it’s still on my radar. To be honest, this is the kind of game that you don’t really have a definitive “finished date.” You just kind of stop playing once you run out of things to do or don’t feel like doing anymore. If a month passes without me picking it up, then I’ll remove it from my Currently Playing list (it’s already off of there on Grouvee).
Title: Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius
Series: Final Fantasy
Genre: RPG – Fantasy
Developer: Square Enix
Platform(s): iOS, Android
Release Date: June 29, 2016
Date Purchased: March 21, 2017
Date Started: March 27, 2017
So I made the sort of “mistake” of telling one of my old friends I was playing this. He’s…extroverted and apparently thought I needed lessons on how to play (wtf?). I’d mentioned I was playing in passing, and he kind of happily freaked out. Let me just say I’m glad we were separated by text, because TSN does not have the energy to deal with hyperactive extrovert freak outs #nope He then decided to sporadically text me unsolicited novels on how to play. Now this is the thing. If I ask you a specific question or we’re talking about something and exchanging tips/information that’s all cool and fun. If I wake up to see paragraphs and paragraphs about shit I didn’t ask you about and probably won’t remember, that’s kind of patronizing and annoying (though I know the former wasn’t meant to be). I had to be kind of mean and ask him to cut it out. One, I’m more than likely not going to remember any of the stuff he’s telling me; and two, I have the Google, which I’ve been using. The Brave Exvius Wiki is actually quite comprehensive and informative. I still felt bad about having to say that though. I don’t like to shut down exuberance, but it was just really out of left field to have someone text you what they literally call “your next lesson,” when I didn’t ask for it.
So, I have a whole bunch of Ifrit raid coins I can’t use, because I missed the event where you can cash them in. I’m probably just going to sell them. The Egg Hunters event is what’s happening now, but it’s really difficult to obtain Rainbow Eggs, and I’m still trying to pull Fryevia whom I have a Trust Moogle for. I did get Garnet yesterday, which is awesome. She’s really tiny. Like her sprite is just little and cute.
I still want to make a chart of the characters I have with their stats so I can decide whom I’m going to keep. I currently have 26 characters, and I’d like to say around 25 even though you can have 50. Since you can make up five teams of five, it’s just much easier to put everyone on a team in order to procure weapons and armor for them. I wish they’d change that and allow you to buy them in one fell swoop for everyone. I suppose I could write it down, but that would be a bit time consuming.
Games Currently Watching
Title: Phantasy Star
Series: Phantasy Star
Genre: RPG – Fantasy/Science Fiction
Original Platforms: Sega Master System
Other Platforms: Sega Genesis, Wii Virtual Console
Original Release Date: December 20, 1987
Let’s Player: Hungry Goriya
Date Started: March 24, 2017
I think HG updates every Tuesday hehe. I’ve been getting notifications in my email usually before I post this, and it just makes my evening so much better. I managed to catch her Twitch stream twice this weekend, though I could only stick around for a little bit for the second one on Sunday. They’re always so much fun. Everyone who joins in is as much of a goofball as me, and it’s fantastic to be among your own people. Even though I don’t really use Twitch on my phone, downloading the app means I get notifications when people I follow go live, so it was worth it just for that.
Title: Mass Effect III
Series: Mass Effect
Genre: Action RPG – Sci-Fi
Original Platform(s): Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3
Original Release Date: March 6, 2012
Let’s Player: Olizandri
Date Started: January 23, 2017
I’m still in the midst of the Omega DLC or rather I’m still in the midst of watching Olizandri do the Omega DLC. The third Mass Effect is much more combat heavy than the first two. I’ve taken to skipping through the combat sections to the cut scenes just so I can fast track to what’s going on. I think I’m still not even halfway finished. I want to watch the ending again before I check out Athena’s video on the indoctrination theory, so that I have the entire story under my belt.
Thanks to her, I do now have an idea for a comparative essay that examines indoctrination in ME and Jenova’s mental manipulation in FFVII. Maybe JRPGs and WRPGs aren’t so different.
Games Added to Playlist: 4
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Do I even need to say anything about why I’m adding this? No, I don’t think so. Okay, I’ll say one thing. Initially, I was just going to watch a let’s play, but numerous people (The Well-Red Mage, Cheap Boss Attack, Mr. Panda, LightningEllen, and others) indirectly and directly convinced me I should play this masterpiece, because I’d get more out of it by doing that as opposed to just watching. Since it’s an open world game where your successes and failures are highly up to your skill level and choices, much of it depends on what you do and when you do it in addition to the story of the game. Besides, it’s another excuse for me to own a Switch.
- Super Bomberman R – This is another excuse for me to own a Switch. I loved the original Bomberman and subsequent iterations. While there are some foibles in terms of them trying to do more with the game than they should (per this excellent review by Mr. Well-Red Mage), the core of the gameplay seems untarnished, and that’s what I’m in it for.
- Persona 4 Golden – I’ve had two people tell me I should play this: Cheap Boss Attack and there was someone in the comments I haven’t checked yet. I just know about it because it was in my email, but alas I don’t remember whom it was. I really hope it wasn’t iplayedthegame, because I forgot about him before, and I don’t want him to think I don’t like him. That would be HORRIBLE D: It was The Otaku Judge! Just checked the comments.
- The Talos Principle – Look at Grouvee making me add games on my own based on what’s in my newsfeed! I’d never heard of this, but I can’t look away from an adorable kitten, and the fact it looks like he’s sitting in Death’s lap? Definitely intriguing. The game is described as “a ‘philosophical puzzler,'” and it has an average rating of 4.30 based on 191 reviews. It seems to not only be an excellent puzzle game, but there’s apparently an awesome story to it as well. It’s for PS4, and the reviews are saying it’s like Portal…but better. Quite a lofty claim.
Total Games in Backlog: 101
Change from Last Week: +4
Games Added to Watch List: 0
Total Games on Watch List: 21
Change from Last Week: -1
Er, I guess I removed BOTW from my Watch List? Yup, that’s it! I knew I’d make sense of things eventually.
Last week I regaled you with sad epic of my failed hunt for a working PS3. It was returned to GameStop with no issue and no hard feelings. I will certainly patronize them again, though I’m more excited so shop at Best Buy now that I know about the $30 GCU that is good for two years and gives you 20% off new games (thanks CBA!).
Anyway, the PS3 was scheduled to arrive last Friday so I worked from home in anticipation of its coming. It showed up around 5:30, so hypothetically, I could’ve gone to work after all, though I often don’t get home until closer to 6:00. They just knocked and left it, which is annoying, but it was delivered by USPS, so no signature was required. This means anyone could’ve just strolled by and walked off with my stuff. Though this is pretty rare for my apartment complex, nothing is out of the realm of possibility.
I was mildly surprised to see another box along with the PS3 one, though not severely so. I’d preordered something back in December, remembered it in February, went hunting for my preorder information, and planned to lay waste to Squeenix if I didn’t get it.
Thankfully, nobody had to die.
We paid $207 for the PS3 on Amazon, and I believe Sephiroth was $150. I still haven’t unboxed him. I’ve been…weird lately. There’s this interesting concept about acquisition where what you really want is the chase and not the result. I have definitely experienced that before. I was once obsessed with finding this umbrella with a a handle that mimicked a sword hilt, but once I had it, I really couldn’t care less. Oh it was cool and all that and came with a carried that strapped to your back (I wound up punching a hole in the bottom of that and using it for one of my actual Masamunes), but when the button stopped working, I wasn’t too upset about it and had already started to grow bored with it.
That is not the case with Sephiroth. I should be excited, but I get into these phases where not even my most fangirl obsessions will move me. I’m just in a meh mood. I’m glad I have it obviously (I mean, I was going to go to war if I didn’t, so yeah), and I’m sure eventually I’ll crack open the box and it’ll be like I received it all over again. It’s like I have one Christmas Morning saved up for just the right time.
I haven’t opened the PS3 box yet either, but that’s more of a time thing. I can now play FFXIII, Mass Effect, and a slew of other games I downloaded through the PSN that I didn’t realize were for PS3 only. I’m pretty stoked about that.
Here are the ones I’d love to hear.
- I’m trying to think of a better name for the miscellaneous section above. I seem to post about other purchases that are game related, but not games. Game Related Purchases, Other Purchases, something else?
- Do you want a more expansive Games Added to Playlist section? I’m not going to go back to posting pictures, because that’s a bit time consuming, but I could put prices. This would be useful to me and I’m assuming some people. Let me know!
What are you currently playing and/or watching? Is it something new or old? Is it a first time run or a replay? What’s the genre? Would you recommend it? What’s on your radar to play next?