A weekly post updated every Tuesday detailing my current gaming projects. I have quite a backlog of games to either play or watch, and I’m hoping a weekly article will assist with my progress as my other accountable posts have done with reading and writing.
I have an account at Grouvee, which is a essentially Goodreads for gamers, so please feel free to friend me there!
Original source of the banner art is located here.
Currently Playing: 2
Title: Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius
Series: Final Fantasy
Genre: RPG – Fantasy
Developer: Square Enix
Platform(s): iOS, Android
Release Date: June 29, 2016
Date Purchased: March 21, 2017
Date Started: March 27, 2017
So much pharming and grinding. I’ve made a little bit of progress in the story, but I feel really behind in terms of where my characters are. I’ve only been playing for a few months so I shouldn’t be too hard on myself. The game is still fun though there are some days where I don’t do anything besides collect my daily rewards. The plot is still interesting enough to warrant me spending so much time leveling to see more.
Title: The Room
Genre: Puzzle, Mystery
Developer: Fireproof Games
Platform(s): iOS, Android
Release Date: September 2012
Date Purchased: April 16, 2017
Date Started: April 16, 2017
I’ve finished the chapters and am currently in the epilogue that I didn’t know existed. I thought I’d be able to say I finished it this week, but I’m enjoying the extra level and the eerie little story that goes along with it. I do think it’s much better to play through each chapter in one sitting, since you might forget where you leave off or certain clues you found in the beginning. There are clues, but it would be nice to figure out a level without using any of them.
Games Currently Watching
Title: Phantasy Star
Series: Phantasy Star
Genre: RPG – Fantasy/Science Fiction
Original Platforms: Sega Master System
Other Platforms: Sega Genesis, Wii Virtual Console
Original Release Date: December 20, 1987
Let’s Player: Hungry Goriya
Date Started: March 24, 2017
Title: Mass Effect III
Series: Mass Effect
Genre: Action RPG – Sci-Fi
Original Platform(s): Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3
Original Release Date: March 6, 2012
Let’s Player: Olizandri
Date Started: January 23, 2017
Title: Out of This World/Another World & Heart of the Alien
Genre: Cinematic platformer, action-adventure
Developer: Delphine Software
Original Platform(s): Various
Original Release Date: 1991
Let’s Player: MikeNnemonic
Date Started: May 13, 2017
This was the first cinematic game I ever played, and it could possibly be the first cinematic game ever. The graphics on it were so amazingly ahead of its time, and it played more like a movie. Now that I’m thinking about it, it was the first game I ever saw with cut scenes, predating Squeenix by some 16 years. Take that Final Fantasy VII! Anyway, this game was hard as hell, and we never got further than the part where your alien buddy picks the lock on the door. We couldn’t time the gun’s force field well enough for that.
I was wary about watching this let’s play as late as I did, since this game is a bit creepy, but so far I’ve been okay. As I have no idea what really happens, I’m not sure what to expect but the LP is a twofer…it has both the first and second game that I didn’t know about. The latter features gameplay from the point of view of your alien buddy. Should be interesting.
Games Added to Playlist: 5
- Cosmic Star Heroine – Thanks to Cheap Boss Attack for this recommendation, and you can read his review of it here. The instant I saw screenshots, I immediately had visions of Chrono Trigger dance through my head, and since I now know about Phantasy Star courtesy of Hungry Goriya (who’s linked above), I can see traces of that, too. It’s like the two games had a lovechild. Sega and Nintendo finally reconciled…with sexy time 😀
- Golden Sun – This one is credited to LightningEllen. I don’t remember when or where we were talking about this, but I have it in my notes that I know about it because of her, and my notes never lie! Past TSN is pretty trustworthy. Present TSN, eh, better watch out for her. This is an RPG, surprise surprise. I think this came up during my “Un-Final Fantasy” post, which I think I subliminally did in order to experience more non-FF RPGs. Mwahaha, you all feel into my little trap >:)
- Baldur’s Gate – Another one garnered from the un-Final Fantasy discussion. I don’t remember who recommended this one though. I don’t think I really need to say much about this RPG. It’s BioWare’s first though, iconic and well known even for those of us who haven’t played it (yet).
- Shadowrun – A cyberpunk RPG that I don’t recall ever hearing of. Again I apologize I don’t remember who mentioned it to me in the comments of the non-Final Fantasy RPG post. That post stirred up so much great conversation/discussions, ironically for not talking about my favorite series, which you could arguably say my blog is based on. Usually I’ll get comments on posts for a few days afterwards, but this one still seems to be going strong!
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona – Because Persona 4 Golden is only available for the Vita, it was suggested to me that I go for this version for the PS2/3. I’m probably going to get P5 first, because everyone is talking about it, but I’ll more than likely buy and finish that before I get a Vita
Total Games in Backlog: 109
Change from Last Week: +5
Games Added to Watch List: 1
- American McGee’s Alice – I have Ignited Moth to thank for this one due to her review of the art book for the same! I added both the game to my watch list and the art book to my want list. This must be the week of the twofer.
Total Games on Watch List: 25
Change from Last Week: +1
Games Purchased This Week: 0
It’s time for the results of last week’s poll! The results were really close…nah, that’s bullshit, one game completely blew all the others out of the water.
With 7 votes out of the total 12, Horizon: Zero Dawn is the clear winner. Second place Person 5 didn’t even get half the votes at 3, and Final Fantasy XV and NieR Automata received 1 vote a piece. No love for Squeenix this week at all o.O However, Tales of Berseria and The Talos Principle didn’t receive any votes, so at least SE received some credit.
With this clear vote in HZD’s favor, I’ll be using my Amazon gift card to purchase it sometime this week.
In other miscellaneous gaming news, I now have more ink. What does that have to do with gaming? Well the tattoo is the words “Ne me mori facias,” which, while originally from Carmina Burana,, are probably more well known in “One Winged Angel.” Even Google agrees with me on this. If you do a search, that’s what pops up first. I’ll show you a picture next week (when I should also have my Horizon). Though I took one after it was finished, there’s a clear plastic cover on it, because my artist is trying something new. It’s the material they use for burn victims, and while he thought it was so odd to cover a tattoo, this is apparently the newest, best thing. You just leave it on for 5-6 days, then take it off. No lotion or anything like that. The less people have to do for a tattoo, the better it is, since the more instructions you give someone, the more likely they are to screw something up. It’s actually been less itchy, but there is an ick factor. There’s definitely some ink on the edges of the plastic so I could see someone who worked in the service industry not going for this option. Me in my little cubicle world can be as gross as I want (not really lol), since I’m not really around anyone all day, and no one is really looking at my arm.
Next week I should have some various pictures for you 🙂
What are you currently playing and/or watching? Is it something new or old? Is it a first time run or a replay? What’s the genre? Would you recommend it? What’s on your radar to play next?