A weekly post updated every other Thursday detailing my current gaming projects. I have an account at Grouvee, which is a site you can use to keep track of your backlog, so please feel free to friend me there!
What I Bought
- World of Final Fantasy Maxima – $39.99 @ Nintendo eShop
- Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight – $19.99 @ Nintendo eShop
What I Finished
Title: Broken Age
System: Nintendo Switch
I loved this. I gave it 4 stars out of 5 on Grouvee because some of the puzzles were a bit non-intuitive, but that could also be me. I noticed I was much better at resolving them/thinking outside the box when I wasn’t tired. Also the voice acting lineup, holy shit. Elijah Wood did a voice! I’m guessing he was Shay. I’ve never heard of Vella’s voice actress Masasa Moyo, but she killed it. Just checked and I was right about Shay. There’s also the indomitable Jennifer Hale of Mass Effect and many other titles’ fame, and freaking Wil Wheaton! What a lineup. I’ll be talking more about Jennifer Hale below with WOFF.
What I’m Playing
Title: Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
Series: Etrian Odyssey
System: Nintendo 3DS
I was itching to watch an Etrian Odyssey Let’s Play and wound up finding Pharaoh Fiasco who has quite a few for EO and others. I’m into his one for Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth, and as you all know I love watching LPs of games I’ve played before myself. He mentioned this game EO IV, so I downloaded the demos for both and just wound up purchasing this for $20. I’m noticing it’s not as difficult as The Millennium Girl, which was the prior one. I’d say it’s near EO V’s difficulty once you get your characters to a certain point, but you get a competent healer almost from the start, the ability to heal a line, AND the ability to have more than one character heal. I’m only on the fifth floor of the 1st Stratum right now, but I’m enjoying it immensely. I love these games. They’re actually quite relaxing for me with the casual mapping and zen music. Yes, the battles require critical thinking and a bit of luck, but I live for problem solving, and even a defeat isn’t enough to deter me. The restaurant angle is interesting. You actually have to not only advertise your stuff, but develop the town of High Lagaard. There are so many moving parts to these games and I just enjoy piecing them all together.
Title: World of Final Fantasy Maxima
Series: Final Fantasy
System: Nintendo Switch
I’d been itching to replay this for a while especially since they updated it. There are more Mirages to catch, you can take twelve with you instead of ten, and I think there are more side quests to do. I’d wanted to stream my replay of this when I did it, but with my computer, well, you know. I intend to do a completionist run with all transfigurations of all Mirages and all side quests done. Yes, I’m aware I have a ton of games on my backlog to play that I haven’t played before, but the world is literally on fire and I wanna play some WOFF.
Jennifer Hale does a (English) voice in this, too. I forget who though lol. You can check all of that in the Twins’ Room under Who’s Who. I had no idea Rachel Leigh Cook was Tifa’s voice actress in not only WOFF but Advent Children. Like I knew Mandy Moore voice Aerith in…something and Lance Bass is Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts (which is AMAZING and hysterical. I love me some N’Sync), but I recognized that name immediately. I’m playing the game with Japanese and English subtitles as I did before, so this is all just interesting information and not something that directly affects me lol.
What I Played
- Picross 2 – I finished all the puzzles and megapuzzles in the first one.
What I Demoed
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered – I had way more fun creating and naming characters than I did playing lol. It’s active combat and it was just total luck (and let’s face it just general excellence) that got me to like that in FFVIIR, plus it’s…FFVIIR. I died in the first screen. How embarrassing. I’d rather spend my money on Final Fantasy World Maxima, and I’m still able to experience FFCCR since Olizandri is doing a Let’s Play of it.
- Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight – I’ve already talked about this above since I bought it, but I just need to say Wulfgar is best boy ♥
What I Watched
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered (Olizandri) – This is just a really chill game to watch while I’m working. It’s a dungeon crawler with not much blatant story, though you can certainly see the threads of it.
- Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (Pharaoh Fiasco) – I found this new Let’s Player in looking for one of Etrian Odyssey. He’s very enthusiastic and it’s interesting to watch how someone else plays this kind of dungeon crawler. It’s quite a bit different to my methods. He doesn’t map it as thoroughly the first time through, and he won’t just accept missions when they come up, which I find so weird. If you happen to fulfill the conditions when you’re out in the labyrinth then it’s a done deal. It’s still fun to watch.
I put Breath of Fire on hold. I’m just more interesting in playing the two RPGs above right now. I’ll come back to it afterwards. I’m definitely buying a gaming laptop either today or tomorrow. My husband sent me the one he was going to get for my birthday (before he got laid off), and I’ve gotten recommendations from other people. I’ll just be happy to have a machine that doesn’t randomly shut down, crash, corrupt my profile, or need to reinstalled.