A weekly post updated every other Thursday detailing my current gaming projects. I have an account at Grouvee, which is a site you can use to keep track of your backlog, so please feel free to friend me there!
What I Purchased
What I’m Playing
Title: The Lost Child
Series: El Shaddai
System: Nintendo Switch
This has been my main go to for the past few weeks. There’s just something addictive about a dungeon crawler where you map and capture monsters. The story is a C- at best and the voice acting is MAYBE a solid C, but that’s not what I came here for. There are a few things I wish they did like make a way for you to sort your Astrals (the name of the monsters) by element type and best karma type, the latter of which is used to level them up. I’m also not overly fond of how you obtain weapons. You can’t buy them; you can only find them in the dungeons and afterwards have this one merchant appraise them. You can also attempt to strengthen them, but there’s at most an 80% or so chance (at most) you’ll succeed. It’s not a dealbreaker, but it’s not ideal.
I’m currently in the fourth dungeon, and I think it might be the final one? There are a few more small missions have to complete, but I think I have to do other things prior before I can. There aren’t a lot of guides for this game. It is really good to play while I’m doing my desk elliptical though lol.
I am always open for recommendations on dungeon crawlers where you have to map things out. Bonus if it’s a monster collection type, so go nuts with the suggestions.
Title: Tales of Vesperia
System: Nintendo Switch
So I have this issue where I get near the end of a game where I’ll just…stop? Like I’m not giving up on this, but I’ve been spending most of my time playing The Lost Child, and I think it’s been about two weeks since I’ve done anything with this. I know what I want to do next; it’s just the matter of doing it. I am pretty much at the end. I’ve opened up the elevator system in Tarqaron so I can go straight back to the boss, but I want to explore all of them first since I’ve seen treasure around I haven’t been able to get to.
What I Played
The only other thing I’ve played has been this dumb ass iPhone game called Project Makeover, which is so addictive and has gotten me to spend a stupid amount of money on extra stuff. Like they got me y’all lol. I pretty much just play The Lost Child until I get tired because it’s easy to just put in a few hours, map a few places then save and put it down.
What I Watched
- Drauger – The MC’s obsession with his sister was fucking weird, but there’s a good (and not GOT) explanation for it. There were predictable things about thisg game that the LPer totally called, but it was still pretty well done. The voice acting was decent and it looked beautiful. There were a few things I think could’ve been fleshed out more, but ultimately it was a good narrative about trying to escape grief.
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter – Holy shit I had no idea how good this was going to be. I also didn’t know CJUG played it. I’d been trying to find an LP of this for a while and I’m so glad I did. I was so into it I was willing to attempt watching it at night lol. It’s the only other game I’ve seen besides FFVII that’s had any other direct reference to the Tree of Life from the Qabalah. I have no critiques about this game. It was a goddamn masterpiece and utterly tragic.
- Firewatch – I just finished this up tonight and then watched videos about the ending as it was divisive. I could see why CJUG felt there was something more to be desired, but…I think I know what they were trying to do. I ran the gambit of thinking Delilah had been replaced with a replica, considering it was some weird Truman Show deal, believing it was some sort of government conspiracy, and even being convinced Delilah was actually Julia, Henry’s wife with demential, who’d been convinced she was someone else. I won’t give away what if any of these is true, but this is another master narrative that does an amazing job at misdirection while still providing enough information in the front end to not have the ending come out of left field. Like, it makes sense, but still leaves quite a bit of mystery and doubt about what might have been going on.
- Moons of Madness – I watched a little bit more of this, but then got caught up in Firewatch and Ethan Carter.
- Tales of Vesperia – I have missed so many sub-events lol. Many are precisely timed so if you don’t do them before something else, they’re gone forever. I am definitely not getting Judith’s best spear and I just have to accept that.
I already have my next games planned. Once I finish either TLC or TOV I’m going to buy the latest Ace Attorney game. I definitely want to play another dungeon crawler and I might have an idea of my next one. I don’t remember its name, but I think I have it noted down somewhere. I am definitley finding more Tales games to play. I think I need to grab them on my 3DS though unless they come out on the Switch at some point in the next month or so.