A weekly post updated every other Thursday detailing my current gaming projects. I have an account at Grouvee, which is a site you can use to keep track of your backlog, so please feel free to friend me there!
What I Demoed
- Yo-kai Watch (Nintendo 3DS) – I wasn’t sure at first or rather I thought it was a flat no. I think I was expecting turn-based battles, but it’s more puzzle based like you have to complete quick little puzzles to get your Yo-kai to act, and since that’s on the bottom screen and they act on the top it can be a bit difficult to keep up with. The battles go by pretty quickly and weren’t that difficult. There wasn’t a way to access the menu in the demo to see what Yo-kai you have, which was kind of a bummer. I wanted to get a feel for that. I don’t think I’ll pay full price for this, but I could see picking it up if it goes on sale.
- Yo-kai Watch 2 (Nintendo 3DS) – This demo was even shorter than the first one lol. At least with the former you had to find and fight three troublesome Yo-kai, but there was just one here that you couldn’t even beat. It did showcase a new gimmick, but again I’ll pick this and the other up on sale.
- Bravely Default (Nintendo 3DS) – I’m pretty sure I demoed this before but wanted to give it another go since I was talking to my brother about Bravely Default II the other day. I don’t remember why I didn’t do more with this. Maybe got distracted, but I’m enjoying it again now. I still have money left on my Christmas gift card, but I might wait a bit since I picked up quite a few games already, and I can (and should) play them before buying more haha.
What I Purchased
- Etrian Odyssey Nexus (Nintendo 3DS) – $9.99 @ Nintendo eShop
- Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (Nintendo 3DS) – $9.99 @ Nintendo eShop
- Mario Tennis Aces (Nintendo Switch) – $0.00 (Christmas Present)
- Voice of Cards: The Dragon Isle Roars (Nintendo Switch) – $23.99 @ Nintendo eShop (Gift Card)
- Cthulhu Saves Christmas (Nintendo Switch) – $1.99 @ Nintendo eShop (Gift Card)
- The Talos Principle: Deluxe Edition (Nintendo Switch) – $5.99 @ Nintendo eShop (Gift Card)
Total: $51.95 ($19.98)
I’ve been wanting Mario Tennis Aces for a while, so I’m really happy/grateful to get that as a gift. I am a little annoyed I almost missed the sale on the two Atlus games. Nintendo doesn’t notify you about 3DS game sales only Switch ones, so if I hadn’t just randomly checked my 3DS wish list I would’ve missed that and been pissed. Nexus was a full $40 or $50 and Radiant Historia was at least $40 so $9.99 for both was like a literal steal. I’ll have to make sure check the store at least once a week.
Since I had the gift card I technically only “bought” EO and RH. Voice of Cards was on sale, too, though for only $7 less. I knew I was grabbing that, and Talos was not missable at only $5.99. I don’t know what world you think we’re living in, but it is not one where I won’t buy Cthulhu Saves Christmas for $2.
What I Finished
Title: The Lost Child
Series: El Shaddai
System: Nintendo Switch
I’d decided I was going to declare this DNFas of the last day I played it, but then I figured I played enough to say I finished it. Like I was in the last dungeon. I just didn’t feel like playing any more lol. It was fun, kind of goofy, dungeon crawler with a “monster catch” mechanic. The story is absolute nonsense, and the voice acting is horrific, but the game is entertaining, and I only paid $10 for it on sale, $50 regular. Do not pay $50 for this game. Although given I put well over 70 hours into it, I don’t think I would’ve complained if I had.
What I’m Playing
Title: Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Series: Etrian Odyssey
System: Nintendo 3DS
This is the last of these games on the 3DS and I dearly hope they continue making them for the Switch.
What I Watched
- Partum Artifex – I was right at the end of my work day and this popped up in my suggestions. It was maybe an hour long and a lot of fun to watch. It’s got a Saw mien to it with your character forced to perform tests crafted by a serial killer.
- The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve – Such a fantastic duology. The LPer and I share the same sentiments.
- Final Fantasy IV (3D) – What a wonderful surprise to find this yesterday! He’s playing the 3D version that boasts some voice acted scenes. I’ve played the original and 3DS version, but never the 3D remake, so I’m excited. I also forgot he now posts two 30 minute videos a day instead of one hour long one.
- House of Ashes – Whew…I have a lot to say about this game. I think I might write up a full blog post on it because it needs more than just a few lines. As usual you have a set of characters who live or die by the choices you make. This takes place in the aftermath of 9-11 when the US was on its failed crusade to find WMDs. The unit dissipated to do so; however, unearths something far worse.
All I wanted to do today was log off work and keep playing Etrian Odyssey Nexus lol, but even after I finish this I think I’m going to do my desk elliptical for a little bit since I missed a few days due to being sick. I am much better now (and appreciate all the well wishes #bless) and think we’re both over it. I never realized how filling oatmeal is lol. I used way too much and not enough milk or water. I’ll do better tomorrow. Garnet had no issues with trying to snatch bites of my breakfast though, naughty kitty. Oh shit, I still need to order that cheese platter for tomorrow!
I will get back to Tales of Berseria.
Happy New Year to you all!