<–The State of the Reader: 10/23/19 The State of the Reader: 12/18/19–>
A biweekly post updated every other Wednesday detailing my current reading projects and what new titles I’ve added to my to-read list. Title links go to Goodreads, and if you have an account there feel free to friend me! I’d love to see what you’re reading and/or planning to read.
Books Obtained: 7
- Kushiel’s Chosen by Jacqueline Carey (Phèdre’s Trilogy) – $3.99 @ Amazon
- The Noise Effect by Stevie Turner – $0.99 @ Amazon
- The Atlantis Gene by A. G. Riddle (The Origin Mystery) – $2.99 @ Amazon
- The Mermaid’s Revenge by Amy Cross – $0.99 @ Amazon
- Galatea by Madeline Miller – $1.99 @ Amazon
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler (Earthseed) – $0.00 @ Amazon
- The Three Musketeers Collection by Alexander Dumas (The D’Artagnan Romances) – $0.99 @ Amazon
Books Finished: 1
Title: Vita Nostra
Series: Метаморфозы (Metamorphoses)
Author: Marina & Sergey Dyachenko
Date Added: December 22, 2018
Date Started: September 23, 2019
Date Finished: November 20, 2019
Most of my notes for this are in my Kindle copy, but this book was fantastic. It’s described as similar to Harry Potter, but the only similarity is that both books are about going away to school. While Rowling’s series certainly has its positives (and negatives, mostly due to the author not knowing when to just stop), Vita Nostra is an existential masterpiece that shares more paradigms with time loop narratives than HP, but I hesitate to compare it fully to any of those either. It really is unique and shows why it’s so important to experience media from different cultures. I’m sad none of the other books in the series have been translated, and I really hope that happens soon.
You must be logged in to post a comment.