A weekly post updated every Wednesday detailing my current reading projects and where I am with them in addition to what new titles I’ve added to my to-read list. Title links go to Goodreads to make it easier for interested parties to add any books that might strike their fancy. I attempt to use the covers for the edition I’m reading, and I’ll mention if this is not the case. If you have a Goodreads account feel free to friend me! I’d love to see what you’re reading and/or planning to read.
Samples Read This Week
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris: Kept – Now that I’ve added the correct book, I like it so far. Vampire boyfriends are always cool with me.
- Half the World by Joe Abercrombie: Kept – Now that I’ve read the blurb, I have no idea why I was so reluctant to add this. The main character is a young woman who is as shunned from warrior life/culture as Yarvi with his one hand was…if not more so.
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: Kept – I liked Maas’s Thorn and Roses series, so I’m hoping I enjoy this one, too.
- The Emperor’s Blades by Brian Staveley: Kept – There’s an ASOIAF vibe to it, but I suppose that’s going to be true of all fantasy, political dramas at this point.
- Don’t Close Your Eyes by Holly Seddon: Kept – Definitely a “fucked up” vibe to this one. I believe this is the book about the two different women who don’t know each other at first, but tragedy brings them together.
- Winterspell by Claire Legrand: Kept (RWTR) – It’s been a while since I put a book on my really-want-to-read list, but I love retold fairy tales, and this is one for The Nutcracker. I love the music to it and the magic of it, and this novel reads like both have been captured.
- Something from the Nightside by Simon Green: Kept – Not five minutes after I read the sample for this (and purchased it), one of my good IRL friends replied to one of my IRL BFF’s (I know so much internet speak OMG) about “the best Urban Fantasy.” I didn’t have an answer for that since it’s not typically my genre, and though I believe there is one I really like, I can’t recall what it is. My friend whom I’ll just refer to as Nightmare, since that’s his nickname AND he recommended Nightside, mentioned that novel, and it was one of those coincidental things I always seem to fall into. I need to send him his birthday card with some money in it. I made a promise! Plus he’s trying to get a car and I have to help him out ♥
- Angelfall by Susan Ee: Kept – Angels fall and I buy.
- Heartborn by Terry Maggert: Kept – This is the second angel based novel I’ve sampled (and purchased, as you’ll see below), and I was looking up “seraph/seraphim” and “nephilim” yesterday for a book review. Doing so put ideas into my narcissistic noggin. I already have a huge angel head canon, but I kind of feel like writing it down again and maybe gathering more ideas. The phrase “dark seraph” keeps popping back into my head. I first thought about it when I was editing Northern Lights (shock), since that’s the perfect term to describe a particular fallen angel. In shamefully narcissistic news, it’s a moniker I’d pick for myself of give to my mythical publishing company. Dark Seraph Publishing sounds pretty boss, and Ash Rose the Dark Seraph sounds pretty final boss *headdesk* (FYI – Ash Rose is my other and much older internet name). You know…I need to figure out someplace to use that. It sounds way too epic to pass by.
- Waste of Space by Gina Damico: Kept – I’m not usually one for either reality TV shows or bratty teens, but this seems like an absurd and comical Truman Show in space, and that’s too delicious to pass by.
Books Purchased This Week: 7
Title: Something from the Nightside
Series Title: Nightside
Author: Simon R. Green
Date Added: July 1, 2017
Date Purchased: September 17, 2017